Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Amazing Quote

We had an annual meeting yesterday for my firm and it was to go over all the things we had planned for last year and to see if we'd achieved them and to also go through the goals and things coming up for our next year. It was actually really cool and we all left feeling REALLY excited about being a part of our company and what things we have planned. One thing that was amazing was that our firm is about 6 years old, for the first 2 years we made combined losses of over $1million. This last financial year our revenue was over $5million. I can't remember the profit amount but it was in the millions. How amazing is that? In a massive recession we had a 25% increase in profit from the previous financial year. I think it's safe to say we're doing really well.

At the end, one of the board members, David Brown, stood up and did a bit of a summary ending and part of it was that he read a quote that was made about 160 years ago. He said it applied so well to the economy and our firm but I think it's bigger then that.


"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

- Charles Dickens (1812-1870) -

I really love that quote. It made me think of a few things, including, how Charles Dickens, 160 years ago, thought their time was just a terrible age, and now we are thinking that the things happening in our age are terrible and life back then must have been pretty simple.

Also that you can have 2 people looking at the exact same thing and they see different things depending on their attitudes. Some see it as great, others see it as "the winter of despair".

Lastly, that a man born almost 200 years ago can be still so relevant to our thinking right now.

So what I'm taking from it is to think about how I look at things. Is what I'm seeing actually bad or is it just my attitude? For example, I hate how I look, I'm fat and pale and just not nice. But I am loved. By a lot of people. So when I look at me I should see a person who is good and loved, not a whale with legs.

And instead of seeing how evil and cruel the world is to each other I should look and see the people who help when you need it the most. Like the people passing when my flatmate had a car accident that came and helped her and waited with her.

And so tell me reader(s)....what are the good things in our world? Ignoring all the bad and painful things...what is good in our world, your life and your day?

3 comments:

devious kitty said...

Whats a good day? Good is when i bump into 1 of my old clients 12 months after i had to go against her wishes & recommend a mental health assessment (involved sectioning to a secure unit)- she hated me so much that day.. today, she hugged me & said Thank You, she looks great and is on the road to recovery - actually thats not a good day - thats an awesome day!!
i have learnt that the hardest job is often the most rewarding... in the end..
Much love from another whale with legs (its in our genes pet - we learn to love it or die miserable!!) Fi xxx

Unknown said...

You are so right Fi, that is more then just a good day and that the hardest things often turn out to be the most rewarding. But I often forget that fact when I'm going through the hard stuff!

I always say that I'd rather die chubby and full rather then skinny and hungry. Although sometimes I don't stick to that and just get a bit grumpy about it!

xx

Anonymous said...

Look kids your comments re yourselves just dont ring true to me!
Look at the faces, look into the eyes, 'the windows of your souls,' see the goodness, kindness and beauty there and you will live in a REALLY GOOD day, it will be YOUR DAY!

Like Fi a good day is seeing someone come sad go at peace, greatly relieved that indeed God is with them on their journey tho they had not realised that until they listened ~ & all I did was facilitate the listening :) #278